1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are moving the forum:
    The new forum you can find here:

www.minixforum.com

3. We are moving the forum:
    The new forum you can find here:

www.minixforum.com

4. I have turned off the ability to post in this forum except for staff members. Please post at our new forum www.minixforum.com

Best stable firmware - My opinion

Discussion in 'NEO X5' started by traxdata, Jun 30, 2013.

1. traxdata

traxdata Moderator Staff Member

I have tried now all the firmware options from Minix and in my opinion the best stable firmware that will give you the best results is the March 26th Firmware update. For those of you who hook up to a hifi system then maybe not for you but for what I want it's the most stable.

I just tried the latest firmware 1080 and it's just seems so laggy. Responses are slow and the picture is juddery even on you tube. Went into Vevo settings and it hung. So straight back to March firmware.
  2. scooter2011

scooter2011 Well-Known Member

Have you tried kirks or finlessbobs latest roms yet?
  3. Stephen Charchuk

Stephen Charchuk Well-Known Member

I think that he means unmodified by others. Stock.
  4. scooter2011

I figgered that just wanted to see if he tried the others. I reverted back to the 4.1.1 latest after trying the4.2.2 rom its been working fine but i flashed to original 4.0 first then flashed latest. 4.2.2 is snappy if they work the wifi issues and crashes can see it being good update.
  5. traxdata

i tried finless rom but was not impressed to be honest. march release is by far the most stable
  6. MINIX

MINIX Administrator Staff Member

We are pleased to announce that 1080p firmware is no longer needed in the near future.
    We're going to apply the "overlay" patch that will use the 720p firmware and while you play 1080p contents the resolution will be changed accordingly.
    This would leverage the pressure to the system while not affecting the quality of the video playback.
  7. kaazvaag

kaazvaag Member

That sounds great. Any idea what the near future will be? (like a month or so?)
  8. traxdata

That's good minix. What I found with the 1080 firmware is that not only was the system a bit laggy, but the screen size was too small for my 32 inch. With the 720 firmware I can sit on my sofa and look at the screen no problem. But with 1080 I can't read the small text etc. But it sounds good. Can you try this with the March firmware also?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  9. jon-at-an

jon-at-an Member

Great news indeed.
    Does your 4.2.2 beta already have this feature?
  10. scooter2011

4.2.2 STILL BETA TESTING.
  11. francisc

francisc New Member

Good news!
    And in my opinion the best firmware so far is finless 1.2b.
  12. traxdata

iliyan likes this.
  13. Aden Ilizarov

Aden Ilizarov New Member

14. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

Hybryd fw v2.2.4 is the best on G4 been using it since it was posted shame no more development for this ROM its by far the best out there

Sent from my RAZR i
  15. ski522

ski522 Active Member

The stability comes from the fact that the kernel is based on AndrewDB kernel (https://github.com/AndrewDB/rk3066-kernel). I've been compiling this kernel for my G4 and installed it with Minix's official firmware, since then my problems with freezing and other issues have disappeared completely.
  16. traxdata

very good. certainly had no issues since I installed it. Works like a dream
  17. ski522

ski522 Active Member

Yes, I agree that anyone with issues move to this ROM, it's the best one I found before working with compiling my own kernel.
  18. Adam B

Adam B Member

did you use the beta or the stable traxdata?

cheers
  19. traxdata

I used the stable 720 version. Not tried the 1080 because the screen resolution is just to small. Can't read anything sat from a distance. 720 works just fine for me.
  20. parkpop

parkpop New Member

I have a Minix Neo X5 mini. I tried to perform updates with X5 regular ROM's but my X5 mini won't operatie anymore. The only thing it does is starting up with Minix logo (sometimes flashing, sometimes not) and that's all. Can you help me?
  21. traxdata

Did you restore or update using the batch tool? If 'update' not good. You need to use the 'restore' and it should be fine after that.
  22. parkpop

parkpop New Member

I use the update option at first (should have read some info on the forum first before I did that) but afterwards used the restore button many times, but stil no more than the Minix logo...
  23. ski522

ski522 Active Member