1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You might experience slow forums at times. This is due to DDoS attacks on another IP on the server.
    If the problem continues throughout the day, we will move the forums to another server.
    The forums might also go down a few times today for server tweaking and similar.

Increase buffer size in xbmc

Discussion in 'XBMC for MINIX discussion' started by skazza, Mar 6, 2013.

1. skazza

skazza Member

Hello,
    I would like to increase the buffer size for streaming in xbmc.
    Is it possible?
    Thanks.
  2. ammo8996

ammo8996 Member

You would need to modify the advancedsettings.xml or create one, if you don't have the file already created. The file is located here "Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/".

This info is pulled directly from the XBMC site.

<cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams ahead in memory
    XBMC will not buffer ahead more than this. WARNING: for the bytes set here, XBMC will consume 3x the amount of RAM
    When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead of RAM, as of v12 Frodo -->
    </network>

So if you wanted an unlimited buffer, you would modify or create the advancedsettings.xml file with the following lines.

<advancedsettings>
    <network
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>

If you wanted an 20 MB buffer, it would look like this.

<advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>
    ASL3312 and Mow like this.
  3. skazza

skazza Member

Thank you for the answer.
    I created a advancedsettings file as suggested.I set 104857600 as cache size and I think I may have solved the problem.
    Do you think that 10m of buffer size is enough in my X5?
  4. traxdata

traxdata Moderator Staff Member

I just added it to mine as well. 20 mb buffersize and HD films stream straight away now. Before it would take an ages and then stop, buffer, play, stop etc... now it's just fine
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    ASL3312 likes this.
  5. Duasto

Duasto Member

Do I need to be rooted to do this?
  6. traxdata

Nope, you just need to find a text editor on playstore that allows you to save the file to the correct folder in XBMC.

Although I made the change a while ago, I have since gone to the latest firmware release and never bothered to make the XBMC change. To be honest, I have noticed no difference at all. Plays the same as before.
  7. skyhawk10

skyhawk10 New Member

Seems this thread may have the solution to eliminate the "Cache filled before reaching required amount" messages that I have been receiving.

I would truly appreciate some more specific directions in increasing the cache size in my new X5.
    I have a few questions.
    1. Which text editor in playstore would you suggest using? Jota, 920, Text Edit?
    2. Is the following found in the "System" section of xbmc or elsewhere?
    "Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/"
    3. After creating the file in text editor, as shown, do you delete the existing advancedsettings file before saving the new one?

I would be very grateful for any help.

By the way using xbmc 12.2 frodo armeabi v7a
    Is the Neon frodo 12.1 xfa better for the X5?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  8. traxdata

I use Jota. works good for me.... I just overwrite any files I change. Point 2 = Yes

I also use the XAF version. Works better for as it comes pre-installed with all addons etc...
    Or I did use XBMC but to buggy
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. DP White

DP White Member

Can you provide a bit more info about the XAF for use on a Neo X5? Where to get it? What version? How if differs from the Frodo I downloaded from the XBMC site. I am particularly having troubles with the Hulu addon. Thanks!
  10. traxdata

If you go to xbmcandroid.com and download the neon set top box version. It's on the front page.

XAF comes with all the add-ons you will need like ice films etc. It also automatically updates etc. The frodo version I believe comes with no add-ons so you need to install them yourself. You can still manually install add-ons as well. I think it's better... Hope it helps.
  11. DP White

DP White Member

Thanks. I will try it later today. Cheers!
  12. DP White

DP White Member

A quick question on this. I have installed. Just trying out 1channel. Seems it keeps having script failures. Is this just me or do you see it as well? Thanks
  13. djvdgalien

djvdgalien Member

I'm running xbmc latest stagefright build, no xaf.
    Copied advancedsettings.xml (all codecs "1", which means to use hw gpu, no external players) to userdata.
    Installed icefilms and 1 channel via repositery, both working like a charm. But when starting xbmc I get an script error message for 1channel, but it still works as it should. Icefilms is playing 720p fine with no visible judding/stuttering.
    You should really give it a try.
    It's for the first time xbmc is working for me as it should.
  14. DP White

DP White Member

Hello and thanks. I plan to try. Can you explain the - all codecs "1" - stuff? I cannot find it in the docs for advancedsettings.xml. Thanks

Edit:

I did find something that looks possible here. Is this it?
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  15. djvdgalien

djvdgalien Member

When opening advancedsettings.xml with text editor, you can choose between -1, 0 or 1 for different videofiletypes. Choose 1 for every.
  16. DP White

DP White Member

Thanks. I have enough experience with XML to get that part of it. What you are assuming, incorrectly I think, is that my install has an advancedsettings.xml file to even open. In fact, it does not. And this is as documented on the XBMC website where it reads (right at the top), "The 'advancedsettings.xml' file, which does not exist by default, may be created by a user in their '/userdata/' folder."

As noted in my edit to my post, I did find a sample advancedsettings.xml file on the web that included the <stagefright> and this info which seems to be what we are talking about here:

<video>
    <stagefright>
    <!-- -1 is default, 0 is never used this codec, 1 is always use this codec, bypassing blacklist -->
    <useavccodec>1</useavccodec>
    <usevc1codec>1</usevc1codec>
    <usevpxcodec>1</usevpxcodec>
    <usemp4codec>1</usemp4codec>
    <usempeg2codec>1</usempeg2codec>
    <useswrenderer>false</useswrenderer>
    </stagefright>
    </video>

Please note that reference page from the XBMC website does not include the syntax for the <stagefright> tag at all. At the time of my post, I did not even know about the <stagefright> tag but I did look through the docs seeking something that was possible, did not find anything (since it is not there), and then asked for more info.

So is this the correct syntax to fulfill the instruction given above ( all codecs "1", which means to use hw gpu, no external players)? Is the <useswrender> tag (false) also to be included? I hope I am being more clear here. Thanks
  17. djvdgalien

djvdgalien Member

That's exactly the same one that did the trick for me.
  18. Link6381

Link6381 New Member

Hi dj,

Could you guide me (with a link) to the correct libstagefright build that I should be running on my X7 please? I'd like to test it out with advxml setting mods and see how it runs.

Right now, I'm on 13.0-ALPHA8 Git: 20130929 and I have tons of stuttering w/ 480 or 720 streaming via 1Channel on wi-fi or CAT6 cable.

Thanks much!
  19. borexino

borexino Member

Guys,
    I've tried several time to increase video buffer using advancedsettings.xml for having smooth video from my IPTV provider using or PVR or video addon. But i think that buffersize doesn't work for this aim.

I'm right?
  20. Flight23

Flight23 New Member

Figured I would chime in here because I have found a quick solution to the fact that a ton of my HD videos were buffering every 3-5 minutes even though my ATV1200 has had no buffering issues at all using the same ethernet line etc:

I did this and the problem was completely solved, no buffering. After this fix I think I prefer the Minix X7mini to my ATV1200, although the component out on the ATV12oo is useful if you need 2 video outputs simultaneously or if you need component out.

SOLUTION TO EXCESSIVE BUFFERING (found on http://forums.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159863&page2 ):

Create (if you dont have one) or edit your advancedsettings.xml file under Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/
    <advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <alwaysforcebuffer>1</alwaysforcebuffer>
    <cahcemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>

Would be nice to know if this works for others with buffering issues. Also, I tried this with absolutely no understanding of what it actually does to solve the problem, so if you know it has any negative effects please post to let the rest of us know. If it doesnt have any negative effects then I think the next Minix XBMC release probably should include this setting unless there is a better way to solve buffering issues.
  21. Flight23

Flight23 New Member

I take it back... still having some buffer issues, but definitely better than before.
  22. borexino

borexino Member

Anyone know the answer?

I appreciate
  23. FlameCRO

FlameCRO New Member

I can't seem to find that file, as when i go into data folder, the folder is empty, trying to edit it into android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files and then its empty...as the org folder mentioned on the first post doesn't exist
  24. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Member

You have to enable your file browser to see hidden files/folders
  25. FlameCRO

FlameCRO New Member

Okay, i found the location for advancedsettings.xml where it should be and created a new advancedsettings.xml, and wrote down
    <advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <alwaysforcebuffer>1</alwaysforcebuffer>
    <cahcemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>
    for unlimited buffer,
    but seems like it doesn't work properly, like i haven't done anything to the stock setting, when i would really like to to be unlimited.
    Would someone please create the file for me and upload it somewhere?
    i got a feeling i didn't save it properly or something..
    or am i missing some other stuff?
    thank you
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014