1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

libstagefright HW accelerated XBMC

Discussion in 'XBMC for MINIX discussion' started by koying, Feb 7, 2013.

1. koying Active Member

Hi, Koying from XBMC here.

Thanks to Minix for sending us the X5 boxes ;)

I've made a quick run tonight with our libstagefright build and it seems, as many reported, that 720p works fine but 1080p does not and crashes.

At first sight, it seems a firmware issue, as it take at times >50ms to return a 1080p frame while a 720p is more like 5ms.
    I was wondering if someone already tried the stagefright build with the "unofficial" 1080p 0117 build?
    Is it supposed to solve things regarding stagefright 1080p decoding?
  2. joeyf Member

I don't collect or store video files. I've only been able to test streaming via addons such as Icefilms or 1Channel. I couldn't get either of those to behave well with the MINIX 1080p firmware, testing the 0121, 0127 and 0202 libstagefright builds. I reverted my X5 back to the 0117 720p firmware and had varying degrees of success with the 0121, 0127 and 0202 libstagefright builds, with the the 0121 being the most stable with the addons and X5 firmware. I think there is some issue with the urlresolver module causing script failures. I know that doesn't help much with the serious video hoarders, however there are number of us who occasionally make use of these streaming addons and are equally interested in seeing progress made with these builds. I like being able to maintain use of my Yatse remote app using these builds, versus losing control by going with the external MXplayer options in other test builds (I don't use hardware remotes).

It would be nice if there were a number of test files we could all download to perform build testing such that we are all on the same page.
    chtamina likes this.
  3. koying Active Member

wbtit likes this.
  4. Gh0st Administrator

I'll give the 1080p files a go shortly on the "unofficial" FW.
    I get the feeling it won't be any different. I quickly tried one of my own when I first updated and it seemed the same as the 720p FW.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. wbtit Member

6. MINIX Administrator

So glad to see this thread being started here!

Rockchip released a set of new ffmpeg code right before the holidays started, they claimed that it improves the overall playback compatibilities, not sure if it is related and would help or not.
    We haven't implement that yet.

If connecting to Rockchip would help, we are more than willing to do so.
  7. koying Active Member

Thanks for your support.

ffmpeg won't help here (it's the software decoding part), but having some contact with rockchip would probably be useful.
    So far, problem seems to lie in the OMX codecs (or the way XBMC uses them) which, I assume, are delivered as binaries to you from them.
  8. jacuzzi Member

I tried the 1/27 build with the 720p firmware and that was not too bad, just a bit choppy on some video's (maybe the hw decoder wasnt working?)
    After that I upgraded to the 1080p firmware (restored I mean) and installed the latest xbmc libstagefright (2/2?). With that combination I had some serious artifacting and fogging and even crashes. Now I don't know who to blame... xbmc or minix, lol.
    Anyway, now I am using the XAF build which plays video's decently, but is lacking too. I am really happy that there will be development on this issue with support from minix and rockchip. And thank you koying for trying to solve it :)
  9. robbie New Member

I have the 1080 p FW and am streaming a 1080p movie,seems to be working pretty well.small flickers on the screen occasionally .
  10. Gh0st Administrator

Are you sure you're using the libstagefright version? I put the Monster Inc clip and Birds clip koying suggested on the X5 itself.. Monsters played at about 12-18fps and Birds crashed XBMC back to the launcher.
    Hopefully Minix come through with koyings request and some progress can be made :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  11. robbie New Member

Yeah that's the one. i stopped it and tried another file,kept shutting Xbmc down ,then tried n SD movie and it had no pic ,just crazy lines and my box froze up.but the one did stream in 1080 pretty good,it was an MKV file if that helps .
  12. koying Active Member

Strange indeed... Mind linking to the file (in PM if you prefer)
  13. koying Active Member

Re sources, what I'd actually need is the sources of libstagefrighthw.so and associates. I'm ready to sign any necessary NDA.
  14. robbie New Member

If i knew how,sorry I'm still learning .it was a bluray rip of lord of The rings ,and it was playing nicely 1080p,slight screen flicker once in while,tried the hunger games ,same thing blu Ray rip.it closed Xbmc everytime .sorry don't know All the technical info
  15. koying Active Member

16. robbie New Member

Sure I will give it a try ,won't be able to do it till tonight but i will do it.
  17. Gh0st Administrator

The best thing to do is send koying a debug log. follow the instructions here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005 and even just PM it to koying here :)

Its pretty easy to do..
    Then follow the instructions from the link I provided above:
    Once those 2 things are setup, play your movie for a bit, stop it then on the main XBMC menu go to Programs click on XBMC Log uploader, either copy the URL it provides or have it emailed to you.
    PM koying with it and youre done :)

Edit: ahhh koying beat me to it ;)
  18. robbie New Member

Ok thx ,I'll do it tonight
  19. Gh0st Administrator

Ok, I thought Id go through and try the few 1080p movies I have, Dark Knight Rises did the usual but X-Men first class played smoothly at 25FPS with an occasional black bar flicker across the middle of the screen.
    I'll PM you a log and a link to the movie koying :)
  20. koying Active Member

Cool! Could you also do the mediainfo stuff on both movies. Might be a h264 profile issue, then...
  21. koying Active Member

So, looks like some 1080p decently work while others basically crashes the vpu. I'll work on that this WE.
    MoeDee and Jeremy like this.
  22. Gh0st Administrator

Cool, hope that stuff helped!
    Progress FTW!
  23. MoeDee Member

Are u going to cross post results here and there http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid=1328716#pid1328716

I assume u r testing on the x5 .. which FW .. the 0117 for 720 (latest official JB)?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  24. koying Active Member

Yes, will cross-post. There are plenty of rk3066, non-minix, users over there ;)
    The FW is 0117 (I assume 720p as it's the official one).
    MoeDee likes this.
  25. MoeDee Member

Very nice...!

Btw I will glady try out anything you need to test on my x5 in regards of xbmc.

Currently I am running the xbmc master Feb 5th I believe out of the test versions directory... Since the latest hardware accelerated one would not let me play amazon prime nor hulu with blucop's add on. (streaming..)
    DVD .iso's (!) were playing well in either one though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2